Pages

Skip to main content

My Favorite Makeup Books

I completely consider myself a book worm, I grew up in a family that loves to read and often book swaps. So it makes sense that one of my favorite tools to learn makeup, technique, and more is makeup books. Here are my favorite ones:

My all time favorite makeup book is The Professional Makeup Artist: Motion Picture, Television, Print, Theatre by Joe Blasco and Vincent J-R Kehoe. This book is my favorite because of the knowledge and information that is available, I call it my makeup bible. It was written by two founding fathers of makeup, if you don't know who Joe and Vincent are Google them. You won't believe all the things they have accomplished in their careers and how much  they have influenced the industry. This is also the book that is used at the Joe Blasco Makeup Training Center which can cost thousands of dollars. This book outlines everything from color theory, makeup application, kit supplies, history and more. So to spend under $100 and get at least some of the information that is shared for this course is such a bargain!




Kevyn Aucoin books are a must have for any beauty lover, especially a makeup artist. He is the reason I became a makeup artist and what opened my eyes to the possibility of becoming a makeup artist despite any adversity I faced. His books share techniques, explanations for tools and products, as well as my favorite makeovers from celebrities to everyday women. His knowledge and inspiration still stand true years later. Again another person to add to your Google list.




The luxury of Nars cosmetics is brought to book form in Makeup Your Mind Express Yourself by Francois Nars. I love the variety of races in this book and the mixture of  men as well. Being able to clearly see the before and afters will inspire you to play with your makeup and see what you can accomplish.



Scott Barnes, creator of the infamous J.Lo glow, has been notorious for working with some of the most legendary women of our time.



Iman is one of the most iconic super models, business women, and cosmetic empire. She created one of the first makeup books dedicated to addressing concerns for makeup across all skin tones featuring Salma Hayek, Tyra Banks, Eva Mendes, Venus and Serena.


Jemma Kidd Make-up Masterclass: Beauty Bible of Professional Techniques and Wearable Looks in her step by step guide Jemma really breaks down beauty looks into simple steps anyone can recreate. She also has Make-Up Secrets: Solutions to Every Woman's Beauty Issues and Make-Up Dilemmas.



Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual, B.B. Living Beauty, B.B. Beauty: The Ultimate Beauty Resource Book
by Bobbi Brown

Bobbi Brown books are good to pick up at the library or buy used online they are good books for MUA's that are starting out. She goes over color theory and has really great photography in all her books.


Comments